What about those carbs?

April 25, 2011

Image by Grant Cochrane.
In preparation for an upcoming fitness shoot I will be eating and working out like I normally have, however I will be consuming less carbohydrates. Why? Well, I want to make sure that I look lean while getting all the nutrients my body needs. As you may know the body needs essential amino acids from protein and essential fatty acids from fat. However, while carbohydrates are important for dietary balance, there is no such thing as essential carbohydrates. This does not imply that I will drastically cut my carbs like some diet plans propose because not all carbs are alike and different types have different health benefits.

Carbs are divided into three main types: Sugars, starches and fiber. Starches, also known as complex carbohydrates, are said to digest more slowly than simple carbohydrates (sugars) and provide sustained energy over time compared to the quick and brief energy spike that simple carbs provide. Resistant starch is quite unique in its ability to improve insulin sensitivity, fight “bad” intestinal bacteria and contribute to the production of short-chain fatty acids which have a protective function against colorectal cancer. Foods high in starches are often rich in other nutrients such as fiber, vitamins, and minerals while foods high in simple carbs are usually not, with some exceptions such as fruit.

It is a known fact that fiber is good for you. It promotes intestinal health and can help lower cholesterol. A diet low in fiber will cause constipation (talking from experience…) and increase one’s risk of certain lower intestinal cancers.

In short, I will be enjoying my fruit, veggies, oatmeal and potatoes, while cutting down on couscous, fruit juices and other foods high in sugars as I prepare my body for this upcoming event. For me it is all about finding a balance.



Image from http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/images/view_photog.php?photogid=2365

0 comments (+add yours?)

Post a Comment