Lifting straps

June 12, 2011

Traditional lifting straps are two strips, usually made of cotton or leather. The end of each strip has a small loop into which the opposite end of the strip goes into, creating a larger loop. By tightening the strap (large loop) around the wrist and wrapping the long part of the strap around the bar, some of the weight lifted will be transferred to the wrist. This results in an increase in the amount of weight one is able to lift, provided that the grip is the weakest link.

While some consider the use of lifting straps useful, others think straps hinder the development of grip strength.

When building muscle, you need your grip to stay strong for several sets and many reps. If e.g. deadlift or weighted chin-up performance is limited only by your grip there are two solutions: improve grip strength or start using straps. The advantage of not using straps is that you will develop a stronger grip, however your stronger body parts, such as back, glutes, and hamstrings, may lack improvement in strength due to your grip being the weakest link. By using straps you assist the weakest link so that stronger body parts can reach their full potential. However, it comes at the cost of grip strength. Optimally, one can work on grip strength separately while using straps only when necessary. However, keep in mind it is not likely that the strength your forearm muscles will ever compare to the strength of other much larger muscles, meaning that they are likely to remain the weakest link despite efforts to improve their strength.

At this time I use straps whenever I pull considerably more than my own body weight. Right now that is only when I'm doing deadlifts. When I used to do one-arm seated cable rows I found that using straps would help me concentrate more on my back than my slipping grip. Over time using straps has helped me develop a stronger back, hamstrings and glutes. I limit the use of straps to exercises where I find it necessary in order to perform at my best.



2 comments (+add yours?)

Lifting Slings said...

Lovely straps.Also the post is very informative about those straps.Thanks for sharing this lovely post with us.

Unknown said...

wow, great, I was wondering how to cure acne naturally. and found your site by google, learned a lot, now i’m a bit clear. I’ve bookmark your site and also add rss. keep us updated. Lifting Slings

Post a Comment