Thoughts on physical self-image and body satisfaction

June 25, 2011

As my husband and I were doing our weekly grocery shopping a woman working in the deli section made a joke about how I made her feel bad about herself. According to her, next to me she looks fat. Trying to be polite I laughed along with her, but I found the situation quite bizarre. I’m not sure if she was trying to pay me a compliment or if she really meant what she said. I cannot wrap my head around the idea that just by existing and minding my own business, I made someone feel self-conscious.

Most of us have heard the theories about fashion and beauty magazines making women feel bad about their looks. Some claim the fashion industry contributes to women developing eating disorders. While I don’t care for the typical model look at all, judging by the widespread idolization of fashion models, they are doing a fantastic job as human coat hangers. That’s what they are paid to do. Now, what I don’t understand is why anyone would feel less worthy for not looking like a fashion model. Furthermore, I don’t see why some seem to think that it’s the responsibility of the fashion industry to create role models for girls and women.

Some people consider thinness desirable. Other people, myself included, prefer an athletic appearance. Others prefer a plumper look. It’s clear that there is large variability in what is considered a desirable appearance.  The problem arises when we cannot be content because we so desperately wish to change how we look. I wonder at what point the need to look a certain way arises. Why do some feel bad when comparing themselves to others? What are the hurdles on the road to body satisfaction? 

I ask these questions because although I grew up with much the same media influences as many women harboring negative feelings about their bodies, I don’t feel the pressure to conform to cultural ideals of what is considered beautiful and feminine. If I did I would not have wasted my time building muscle.

Exercise doesn’t only keep you healthy and looking good, it can also make you feel great. Research has shown that exercise is beneficial for improving self-image and body satisfaction in both genders.1,2,3,4,5,6 




On a side note, this topic reminds me of a joke by one of my favorite comedians (if you are sensitive to profanities this is not for you):

  




References:
1 Davis, C., Elliot, S., Dionne, M. and Mitchell, I.. 1991. The relationship of personality factors and physical activity to body satisfaction in men. Personality and Individual Differences. 12: 689–94.
2 Furnham, A. and Greaves, N.. 1994. Gender and locus of control correlates of body image dissatisfaction. European Journal of Personality. 8: 183–200.
3 Grogan, S., Evans, R., Wright, S. and Hunter, G.. 2004. Femininity and muscularity: Accounts of seven women bodybuilders. Journal of Gender Studies. 13(1): 49–63.
4 Huddy, D.C. and Cash, T.F.. 1997. Body-image attitudes among male marathon runners: A controlled comparative study. International Journal of Sport Psychology. 28: 227–36.
5 Koff, E. and Bauman, C.. 1997. Effects of wellness, fitness, and sport skills programs on body image and lifestyle behaviors. Perceptual and Motor Skills. 84: 555–62.
6 Martin, K.A. and Lichtenberger, C.M.. 2002. Fitness enhancement and changes in body image, in T.F. Cash and T. Pruzinsky (eds.) Body image: A handbook of theory, research, and clinical practice (414–21), New York: Guilford Press.

0 comments (+add yours?)

Post a Comment