Trial and error on the road to getting fit

May 17, 2011

I have made my share of mistakes through the years trying to improve my health and body. After some trial and error I have learned what works for me. I am sharing this with you so that you can avoid doing the same mistakes, if you haven't made them already.

Not consuming enough calories
Sure, anyone will gain weight by eating donuts and pizza, but those who want to gain quality weight need their calories to come from healthy sources. Recently I tracked my calorie and macronutrient consumption for a few days and I learned that most days I am not eating enough to gain weight. I find it hard getting enough quality calories.

Not splitting up my leg routine sooner
For the first couple of years I had a dreaded wonderful “leg day”. Starting off with squats, the rest of the workout was pretty much downhill from that point. Not only was I totally shot after completing my workout, what was worse is that my hamstrings development suffered due to the initial burst of energy going to the first sets of squatting. I would also switch it up by starting with Romanian deadlifts, but that resulted in my quad workout being amputated.

Finally, I decided that doing the three largest muscle groups, the glutes, quads and hamstrings, on one day was not optimal for me. After I split up my quads and hamstrings (glutes get worked during both) I have had great progress in strength and shape, and I have never looked back.

Disregarding overuse/injury signs
On a couple of occasions I have ignored my body’s warning signs, resulting in injury. Needless to say – bad idea. Not doing that any more. "No pain, no gain" is something I don't believe in. Effort ≠ pain.

Not getting enough sleep
Not getting enough sleep is detrimental to your gains, as I have experienced. It leads to decreased energy before you work out and it hinders recovery after your workout.

Not incorporating squats and deadlifts into my program from the start
Compound movements are hard to master for most rookies. I gave up early, only resulting in a delay of my leg development. Now these exercises are two pillars of my exercise program. 

Not trying new strategies to break plateaus, resulting in prolonged plateaus
When I reached plateaus I did not put enough effort in trying to work around it and overcome it. I simply continued doing what I did before, leading to no progression. As I have accumulated knowledge over time I now know what potential weaknesses to look for in my workout and lifestyle so that I easier can break through plateaus. 

Not using music as my workout partner from the start
When I started working out seriously I thought that music would only distract me. I was dead wrong. For a long time I worked out with no music and no partner. Now I am lucky enough to have a great workout partner, but I still use music from time to time to keep myself focused on days that the gym is packed and noisy. 

Not keeping an exercise journal
Six months ago I started keeping a workout journal. Soon after, I started getting stronger in all my lifts. The workout journal makes it easier to track previous workouts instead of having to guess how much weight and how many reps you did for every exercise. That has definitely helped with my progress and motivation.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You can’t live long enough to make them all yourself.
- Eleanor Roosevelt

2 comments (+add yours?)

zingalvs said...

was that you? beautiful bod..
keep it up..

Me said...

Yup, that's me. :) Thanks!

Post a Comment